What is Sedation Dentistry or “Sleep Dentistry”?
Sedation dentistry is used to help patients relax while they are having treatment. Medication will be used but you usually remain awake, unless you opt for General Anesthesia which will take you into a state of unconsciousness.
Your doctor at Ballatyne Center for Dental Implants will discuss the sedation options with you so that you can choose the one you prefer and which he feels is best suited to your circumstances:
- A low level of sedation or “anxiolysis” – you will feel completely relaxed but will not be asleep. Often times we will use Nitrous Oxide or “laughing gas” along with supplemental oxygen and valium for this type of sedation.
- Moderate sedation – you will feel more relaxed, even drowsy and although not fully asleep, you may not remember much afterwards. This requires a cocktail of sleeping medications and anti anxiety drugs usually give orally, but also can be adminsitered by I.V. or intravenously.
- General anaesthetic – you will be fully asleep/unconscious and will not be aware of anything.
As well as being sedated, your doctor at Ballatyne Center for Dental Implants will still apply a local anesthetic so that you will not feel any pain while he works on your teeth.
What are the benefits of Sedation Dentistry?
Being sedated while you have dental work completed brings with it many benefits. Your anxiety will be relieved, you will be less aware or totally unaware of the procedure being carried out and your fear will be a thing of the past.
Who should consider Sedation Dentistry?
If the thought of dental treatment fills you with dread, then sedation dentistry is well worth considering. Whether you have a phobia or something less, by allowing your dentist to sedate you, dental treatment can be carried out quickly and efficiently. Talk to Ballatyne Center for Dental Implants about sedation dentistry if you have problems with any of the following:
- A fear of dentists
- Low pain threshold
- Very sensitive teeth
- A gag reflex that causes problems during treatment
- Need to have a vast amount of work carried out